If you use a particular program too often then you may want to launch the program more easily. You can manage to open the program just in two clicks. In this article we are going to show how to include any program in your right click context menu. So that, whenever you may need to use the program you can easily do it by right clicking on an item in File Explorer and then clicking on the name of the program.
How to add any program to right click context menu
Follow these steps to add the desirable program to right click context menu-
Before going ahead to the main fix, we strongly suggest you to create a a backup of the registry on your computer. After opening Registry Editor, click on “File” > “Export” to create the backup.
If anything goes wrong you can retrieve your registry by simply importing the backup.
1. Click on the Search box and then type “regedit“.
2. Now, click on “Registry Editor” from the search results to open it on your computer.
3. In Registry Editor window, on the left hand side, navigate to this location-
4. Now, on the right click on the “shell” key and then click on “New>” and then on “Key“.
5. Name the key as the application name (We have named it “PainDotNet” .)
6. Again, right click on the “PainDotNet” key and then click on “New>” and then on “Key“.
7. Name the key as “command“.
8. Now, on the left hand side of Registry Editor window, click on “PainDotNet“.
9. On the right hand side, right click on “New>” and then click on “Key“.
10. Name the new key “Icon“.
Minimize Registry Editor window.
11. Now, press Windows key+E to open File Explorer window.
12. Navigate to the location of the application on your computer. Note down the location of the application.
Close File Explorer window.
13. Coming back to the Registry Editor window, double click on “Icon“.
14. In Edit String window, set the ‘Value data:‘ as the path of the application (which you have noted just before.)
15. Click on “OK“.
NOTE– For us, we have copy-pasted this-
16. Same way, double click on “(Default)” string.
17. In Edit String window, set the ‘Value data:‘ as whatever you wish to appear in the right click context menu.
(For us it is – Paint it with Paint.Net . Whenever we will right click on an item, ‘Paint it with Paint.Net‘ will appear. )
18. Click on “OK” to save the changes on your computer.
19. Now, on the left hand side of Registry Editor window, click on the key “command“.
20. On the right hand side, double click on “(Default)” to modify it.
21. Set the ‘Value data:’ to the ” “application location” “%1” ” .
As for this pc, the value data will look like this- the location of ‘ Paint.Net “%1” ‘. or in actual words it will this –
"C:\Program Files\paint.net\PaintDotNet.exe" "%1"
22. Click on “OK” to save the changes.
Close Registry Editor window.
You may need to reboot your computer to witness the changes.
From now on whenever you right click on an item in File Explorer window, the application handle will appear in the context menu, just like this-
Sambit is a Mechanical Engineer By qualification who loves to write about Windows 10 and solutions to weirdest possible problems.