You may face Error code- 0x8024402F while updating your Windows 10. This error usually occurs when there is some corrupted update file is present in the system. Without addressing the matter, Windows Update will not work normally on your computer.
To fix the issue follow these solutions on your computer-
Fix-1 Delete SoftwareDistribution folder in Safe mode-
Deleting the SoftwareDistribuiton folder in Safe mode will solve this issue.
1. Press Windows Icon+I to open Settings window.
2. Now, click on “Update and Security“.
3. Now, on the left pane, click on “Recovery“.
4. Then, under “Advanced Startup” section, click on “Restart Now“.
5. In Choose an option window, click on “Troubleshoot“.
6. In Troubleshoot window, click on “Advanced options“.
7. In the Advanced options window, click on the “Startup Settings“.
8. Now, click on “Restart” to restart your computer in safe mode.
9. Now, you will be shown options of Startup Settings.
10. Press “4” to ‘Enable Safe Mode‘.
Your computer will be booted into Safe mode.
In Safe Mode, the background of your desktop will be black.
11. Press Windows key+R to launch Run.
12. Now, copy-paste this line in Run window and hit Enter.
Note– Replace “C:” with the drive letter of your Windows installation drive.
Download folder will be opened in File Explorer window.
13. Now, press Ctrl+A to select all the contents of the folder and then press “Delete” to empty the SoftwareDistribution folder.
Close File Explorer window.
Reboot your computer back to normal mode. Try to update your Windows. It will work just fine.
Fix-2 Rename SoftwareDistribution folder from CMD-
Renaming SoftwareDistribution folder on your computer will fix this issue for sure. Follow these steps minutely-
1. Click on the Search box just beside Windows icon and then type “cmd“.
2. Then, right click on “Command Prompt” in the elevated search result and choose “Run as administrator“.
Command Prompt with administrative rights will be opened.
3. In Command Prompt window, copy-paste these commands sequentially and hit Enter after each of them to execute these commands sequentially on your computer. These will terminate some services on your computer.
net stop wuauserv net stop cryptSvc net stop bits net stop msiserver
4. Now, again copy-paste these two commands sequentially in Command Prompt window and hit Enter. These commands will rename both of the folders on your computer.
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
5. Finally, in Command Prompt window, copy-paste these commands one by one and hit Enter after each of them to restart the services.
net start wuauserv net start cryptSvc net start bits net start msiserver
The stopped services will be started again.
After executing the commands close Command Prompt window.
Reboot your computer and the problem will be solved.
Sambit is a Mechanical Engineer By qualification who loves to write about Windows 10 and solutions to weirdest possible problems.