Many users have reported they are having issues while trying to use the search feature with or without Cortana. Here is a list of all methods you can easily try by yourself to fix the issue.
As this problem is not reported by all users the exact reason of the problem is unknown but you can try the given below methods to try to fix.
• Reboot your System
• Restart Search/Cortana Process
• Windows Search Service Modification
• Restore Indexing services
• Troubleshoot using Windows Troubleshooter
Table of Contents
Restart Your Computer
One of the most common fixes to a problem is to try to restart your device. If you use the hibernate feature offer instead of powering off your machine, this step is a must for you.
Restart Search Process
1. Right-click on the windows logo, to open the WinX menu.
2. Click on the task manager button.
3. Open the processes tab on the Task Manager and press C on your keyboard to locate Cortana, right click on it and hit End Task.
4. Try to locate the search process right click on it and hit end task for it.
Modify Windows Search Service
1. Right click on the windows icon to open the WinX menu and click on Computer Management.
2. In the main window, you can see an option in the last with the name Services and Applications, double-click on it.
3. Now double-click on Services in the newly opened window.
4. Use W key to find windows search and right click on it then open properties.
4. Select Automatic for the startup type and then save your settings
5. Restart your computer
Restore Indexing Services
1. Open cmd by hitting Win Key + R together and type cmd in the dialog box. Press Ok.
2. Type control.exe srchadmin.dll and hit enter.
3. A dialog box will appear, click and open the advanced tab.
4. A new window will open, in the troubleshooting category press Rebuild button.
5. A notification window will appear telling you it will take a long time to continue, press ok.
Try to troubleshoot your computer using the windows troubleshooter
1. Click on the windows key icon on the left bottom corner of your computer.
2. Now, click on the settings button right above the power button.
3. In the settings window, scroll to the bottom and select Update & Security.
4. From the left pane click on the Troubleshoot option.
5. Scroll down and locate Search and Indexing and click on it to select it. Press run the troubleshooter
6. Tick all the options from the window and press next. If it doesn’t work press Try troubleshooting as admin.
After the troubleshooting is done Windows will tell you what the problem is and how to fix it.
If the above solutions don’t work for you, you’ll have to clean install or refresh your copy of windows.