Is the computer screen looking too dull? Can’t you increase/ decrease the brightness level of the screen? If that is the issue then there is a problem either with the graphics adapter or the monitor. If you are facing the issue, don’t worry. Simply follow these easy fixes and the problem will be gone in no time at all.
Fix-1 Update the graphics driver-
You can solve this issue easily by updating the graphics driver.
1. Press Windows key+R to open Run window.
2. In the Run window, type “devmgmt.msc” and hit Enter to open Device Manager window.
3. In Device Manager window, expand “Display adapters”.
4. Expand “Intel(R) HD Graphics” and then right-click on “Update driver“.
5. When you will be asked ‘How do you want to search for drivers?‘, click on “Browse my computer for driver software“.
6. Now, click on “Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer“.
7. In this window, you will notice several graphics drivers. Choose the latest graphics driver.
8. Now, click on “Next” to install the latest driver.
Wait for a while as the graphics driver will be installed on your computer.
10. Click on “Close” to close the window.
Now, close the Device Manager window.
Reboot your computer. After rebooting your computer, try to increase/ decrease the brightness level on your computer.
Fix-2 Uninstall and reinstall the display driver-
1. Press Windows key+R to launch Run.
2. Now, type “devmgmt.msc” and then hit Enter.
Device Manager window is now opened.
3. In the Device Manager window, find “Display adapters” from the list, click on it to expand it.
4. Now, right-click on the graphics driver you are using, then click on “Uninstall device“.
7. Now, click on “Yes” to uninstall the driver from your computer.
After uninstalling the display driver, close the Device Manager window.
8. Now press Windows Key+R to launch the Run window again.
9. Next, type “appwiz.cpl” and then hit Enter.
10. In Programs and Features window, scroll down and uninstall all the graphics software (your graphics driver manufacture) by double-clicking on each of them.
This process may take some time.
In the next steps, we are going to install the graphics driver again-
Reboot your computer. Install the default graphic driver from the NVIDIA/AMD driver DVD (or you can download the latest graphics driver). You may need to restart your computer to finalize the installation of the graphics driver.
If rebooting your computer didn’t install the driver then you have to install the driver yourself. Follow to install the driver manually-
1. In the Device Manager window, click on “Action”. Again click on “Scan for hardware changes“.
After installing the graphic driver, check if you are still facing the same problem or not.
Fix-3 Uninstall monitor driver-
Disabling the monitor driver has solved the problem for many users.
1. Press Windows key+X and then click on “Device Manager“.
2. In the Device Manager window, expand “Monitors“.
3. Now, right-click on the monitor driver and then click on “Uninstall device“.
4. Next, click on “Yes” to uninstall the driver from your computer.
Close Device Manager window.
Restart your computer and the monitor driver will be reinstalled.
Check if you can control the brightness level on your computer.
Sambit is a Mechanical Engineer By qualification who loves to write about Windows 10 and solutions to weirdest possible problems.