PyCharm is IDE(Integrated Development Environment) that is specifically designed for Python Programming language. It also supports other programming languages like HTML, CSS, etc. It is developed by JetBrains and comes in two editions, one, the Professional Edition and the Community Edition. Community Edition is free of cost and is best suited for Students as well as beginners learning Python.
In this article, let’s see how to install PyCharm in Windows and also set up your first project to display a “Hi PyCharm” message.
How to Install Python on your system?
As PyCharm is an IDE for Python, we must have Python installed on our system as a prerequisite. If you haven’t installed Python, this is how you can do it:
1. Download a Stable release of Python Installer from the Official Python Site.
2. Click on the Download button.
3. Once the download is complete, double-click on the setup file.
4. Tick the option Add Python 3.x to Path. This is important.
5. Click on Install Now.
6. The Installer starts installing Python on your system.
7. Once the installation is complete, click on Close.
8. To verify if the installation is successful, open the Run dialog using Windows+R.
9. Enter the command cmd and press Enter.
10: In the command prompt window that opens, type python and press Enter.
11. You should be able to see the Python version as shown below.
How to Install and Setup PyCharm in Windows?
1. Download the PyCharm Community version from the Official Jet Brains site.
2. Once the download is complete, double-click on the executable file.
3. If you see a UAC seeking permission, click on OK.
4. In the appearing window, choose a Destination Folder and click on the Next button.
5. In the Installation options window, under the Create Desktop Shortcut, check PyCharm Community Edition. Do this if you want a shortcut to PyCharm on the Desktop.
6. Under the Update PATH variable, check the option, Add “bin” folder to the PATH.
7. Click on Next.
8. In the Setup window, click on JetBrains and press Install.
9. Once the installation is complete, you will be asked to reboot your system.
10. After the reboot, open the PyCharm Application.
11. In the PyCharm window, Click on New Project.
12. Under the location section, give a suitable name to the project.
13. Choose Vitualenv
14. Click on Create.
15. You will see a main.py file opened by default. It would have a sample Python script to print Hi PyCharm.
16. To run the file, right-click on main.py as shown below. Click on Run.
17. You can see the output below in the run section as shown below.
18. Feel free to edit the main section to enter a string of your choice. Run the code to see the output.
We hope this article has been informative. Kindly comment and let us know if you found this helpful.
Also, comment and let us know if you’re facing any issues. We will be glad to assist you.
Thank you for reading.
Anusha Pai is a Software Engineer having a long experience in IT industry and having a passion to write.