Are you seeing “Your device is missing important security and quality fixes” error message on your Windows 10 computer? If you are seeing this error that means Windows Update service is not running on your computer. This problem may happen due to a variety of causes, but in most cases, it is the corruption in the SoftwareDistribution folder. To solve the issue follow these easy steps-
Fix – 1 Troubleshoot Windows Update
1. At first, click on the Windows icon.
After that, you need to click on the gear-shaped icon to open Settings.
2. Then, click on “Update & Security” to access it.
3. Now, click on the “Troubleshoot“.
4. Then, on the right-hand side, you have to click on “Additional troubleshooters” to check out advanced options.
5. Now, on the right pane of the Settings window, scroll down and click on “Windows Update“.
6. Now, click on “Run the Troubleshooter” to start the troubleshooting process.
7. After that, you need to click on “Next” in the troubleshooter window.
8. Again click on “Next“.
Once the troubleshooting process is over, close the troubleshooter window.
Reboot your computer.
Fix-2 Select selective startup-
A selective startup of your device may fix this issue.
1. At first, press Windows key+S and search for “System Configuration“.
2. Then, click on the “System Configuration“.
3. At first, you need to go to the “General” tab.
4. Then check the option “Selective startup“.
5. After that, check the option “Load system services.
6. After that click on the “Services” tab.
7. Next, check the “Hide all Microsoft services” option.
8. Finally, check the “Disable all” option in the bottom left corner.
8. Then, click on “Apply” and “OK”.
Reboot your computer, it will be booted without any 3rd party softwares.
Fix-3 Run a batch file to reset WU services-
Running a batch file will reset Windows Update service on your computer.
1. At first, download the Wureset Windows 10 .
2. Open the File Explorer.
3. Then, extract the zip file on your computer.
4. Then you need to go to the location where you have extracted the file.
5. Double click on the “Wureset Windows 10” folder.
7. Now, right-click on the “Wureset Windows 10” batch file and then click on “Run as administrator“.
Now, you will see a command prompt window is opened and some commands are already being executed.
When you see “Task completed successfully! Please restart your computer and check for the updates again.” statement in CMD window, close Command Prompt.
Reboot your computer.
After rebooting your computer, check for updates from Settings.
Fix-4 Disable startup items-
Disabling unnecessary startup items may fix this issue.
1. To open the Task Manager, press Ctrl+Shift+Enter together. In Task Manager, go to the “Startup” tab.
2. Now, right-click on any unnecessary startup item and then click on “Disable” to disable it.
Now, repeat the same feat for any unnecessary startup items in the Task Manager window to disable all of those.
Once you have disabled all unnecessary tasks, close the Task Manager window.
Sambit is a Mechanical Engineer By qualification who loves to write about Windows 10 and solutions to weirdest possible problems.