Are you seeing “Your device is missing important security and quality fixes” error message on your Windows 10 computer? If you are seeing this error that means Windows Update service is not running on your computer. This problem may happen due to a variety of causes, but in most cases, it is the corruption in the SoftwareDistribution folder. To solve the issue follow these easy steps-
Fix-1 Run Windows Update Troubleshooter-
Running the Windows Update troubleshooter will fix the issue on your computer.
1. Click on the Windows icon and then click on the gear-shaped icon to open Settings.
2. Now, click on “Update & Security“.
3. On the left-hand side, click on “Troubleshoot“.
4. Now, on the right-hand side, click on “Additional troubleshooters“.
5. Now, on the right pane of the Settings window, scroll down and click on “Windows Update“.
6. Now, click on “Run the Troubleshooter” to start the troubleshooting process.
7. Now, click on “Next” in the troubleshooter window.
This process will take some time as Windows will detect any problem with Windows Update.
8. Again click on “Next” to apply the fix.
Once the troubleshooting process is over, close the troubleshooter window.
Reboot your computer.
Fix-2 Select selective startup-
A selective startup of your device may fix this issue.
1. Press Windows key+R to open Run window.
2. Type “msconfig” in Run window and then hit Enter.
The System Configuration window will be opened.
3. Now, in the System Configuration window, go to the “General” tab.
4. Now, click on “Selective startup“.
5. Then, check the box beside the “Load system services.
6. Now, go to the “Services” tab. Then, check the “Hide all Microsoft services” option.
7. Next, check the “Disable all” option in the bottom left corner.
8. Finally, click on “Apply” and “OK” to save the changes on your computer.
Reboot your computer, it will be booted without any 3rd party softwares.
Fix-3 Run a batch file to reset WU services-
Running a batch file will reset Windows Update service on your computer.
1.Download Wureset Windows 10 on your computer.
2. After downloading the file, press Windows key+E to open File Explorer.
3. Extract the zip file on your computer.
4. Now, go to the location where you have extracted the file.
5. Double click on “Wureset Windows 10” folder.
7. Now, right-click on the “Wureset Windows 10” batch file and then click on “Run as administrator“.
Now, you will see a command prompt window is opened and some commands are already being executed.
When you see “Task completed successfully! Please restart your computer and check for the updates again.” statement in CMD window, close Command Prompt.
Reboot your computer.
After rebooting your computer, check for updates from Settings.
Fix-4 Disable startup items-
Disabling unnecessary startup items may fix this issue.
1. Press Ctrl+Shift+Enter to open the Task Manager window. In Task Manager, go to the “Startup” tab.
2. Now, right-click on any unnecessary startup item and then click on “Disable” to disable it.
Now, repeat the same feat for any unnecessary startup items in the Task Manager window to disable all of those.
Once you have disabled all unnecessary tasks, close the Task Manager window.
Sambit is a Mechanical Engineer By qualification who loves to write about Windows 10 and solutions to weirdest possible problems.