Windows Update ‘Error Code- 0x80240017’ is associated with the printing issue on your Windows 10 computer. In case if you are seeing this error message on your computer it is probably because MS Office update is not installing on your computer. But there is no need to worry. Follow these simple fixes and the problem will be solved in no time at all. But before you go for the bigger solutions, try out these simpler ones.
1. Restart your computer and then try to update it further.
2. Disable any antivirus or 3rd party protection software you have installed on your computer.
If restarting or disabling the antivirus didn’t help at all, follow these fixes-
Fix-1 Try Windows Update Troubleshooting-
Windows Update Troubleshooter can determine the update issue on your computer and fix it.
1. Click on the Windows icon and then click on the gear-shaped icon to open Settings.
2. Now, click on “Update & Security“.
3. On the left-hand side, click on “Troubleshoot“.
4. Now, on the right-hand side, click on “Additional troubleshooters“.
5. Now, on the right pane of the Settings window, scroll down and click on “Windows Update“.
6. Now, click on “Run the Troubleshooter” to start the troubleshooting process.
7. Now, click on “Next” in the troubleshooter window.
This process will take some time as Windows will detect any problem with Windows Update.
8. Again click on “Next” to apply the fix.
Once the troubleshooting process is over, close the troubleshooter window.
Reboot your computer.
Fix-2 Rename SoftwareDistribution folder-
Renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder on your computer will fix this issue for sure. Follow these steps minutely-
1. Click on the search box beside the Windows icon and then type “cmd“.
2. Then, right-click on “Command Prompt” in the elevated search result and choose “Run as administrator“.
Command Prompt with administrative rights will be opened.
3. In Command Prompt window, copy-paste these commands sequentially and hit Enter after each of them to execute these commands sequentially on your computer. This will stop some services temporarily on your computer.
net stop wuauserv net stop cryptSvc net stop bits net stop msiserver
4. Now, again copy-paste these two commands sequentially in Command Prompt window and hit Enter. These commands will rename both of the folders on your computer.
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
5. Again in Command Prompt window, copy-paste these commands one by one and hit Enter after each of them to execute these commands on your computer.
net start wuauserv net start cryptSvc net start bits net start msiserver
The stopped services will be started again.
Once when all the commands are executed on your computer, close the Command Prompt window.
Reboot your computer and after rebooting your computer check for updates once again.
Fix-3 Update Windows Update AutoUpdate Client-
1. Press Windows key+X keys together and then click on “Windows PowerShell (Admin)” to open Powershell window with administrative rights.
2. In PowerShell window, copy-paste or type this command and then hit Enter to update Windows Update AutoUpdate Client.
Once you have done it, close the PowerShell window.
Reboot your computer and check if the Windows Update process is working or not.
Sambit is a Mechanical Engineer By qualification who loves to write about Windows 10 and solutions to weirdest possible problems.