Are you seeing the error code 0x800f0805 when you are trying to download and install Windows Update? This error may happen due to various reasons. Simply follow these fixes to solve the issue on your computer.
Fix-1 Run a batch file to fix the issue-
Running a batch file on your computer with administrative rights can fix the update problem you are facing.
1. Click on the Search box beside the Windows Icon, type “Notepad“.
2. Now, click on “Notepad” in the elevated search result.
3. Copy these commands and paste them on the blank Notepad page.
net stop bits net stop wuauserv net stop appidsvc net stop cryptsvc Del "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\*.*" rmdir %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution /S /Q rmdir %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 /S /Q sc.exe sdset bits D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU) sc.exe sdset wuauserv D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU) cd /d %windir%\system32 regsvr32.exe /s atl.dll regsvr32.exe /s urlmon.dll regsvr32.exe /s mshtml.dll regsvr32.exe /s shdocvw.dll regsvr32.exe /s browseui.dll regsvr32.exe /s jscript.dll regsvr32.exe /s vbscript.dll regsvr32.exe /s scrrun.dll regsvr32.exe /s msxml.dll regsvr32.exe /s msxml3.dll regsvr32.exe /s msxml6.dll regsvr32.exe /s actxprxy.dll regsvr32.exe /s softpub.dll regsvr32.exe /s wintrust.dll regsvr32.exe /s dssenh.dll regsvr32.exe /s rsaenh.dll regsvr32.exe /s gpkcsp.dll regsvr32.exe /s sccbase.dll regsvr32.exe /s slbcsp.dll regsvr32.exe /s cryptdlg.dll regsvr32.exe /s oleaut32.dll regsvr32.exe /s ole32.dll regsvr32.exe /s shell32.dll regsvr32.exe /s initpki.dll regsvr32.exe /s wuapi.dll regsvr32.exe /s wuaueng.dll regsvr32.exe /s wuaueng1.dll regsvr32.exe /s wucltui.dll regsvr32.exe /s wups.dll regsvr32.exe /s wups2.dll regsvr32.exe /s wuweb.dll regsvr32.exe /s qmgr.dll regsvr32.exe /s qmgrprxy.dll regsvr32.exe /s wucltux.dll regsvr32.exe /s muweb.dll regsvr32.exe /s wuwebv.dll netsh winsock reset netsh winsock reset proxy net start bits net start wuauserv net start appidsvc net start cryptsvc
3. Click on “File” and then, click on “Save as“.
4. Now, set the “File name:” as “fix_update.bat” and click on “Save as type:” and set it as “All files”
5. Next, click on “Save” to save the batch file.
6. Now, close the Notepad window.
7. Go to the location where you just saved the batch file.
8. Now, right-click on “fix_update.bat“, and then, click on “Run as administrator“.
Wait till the process is complete. Then reboot your computer.
After rebooting your computer, try to update your device again.
Fix-2 Update your system with MCT-
You can create a Windows Media Creation Tool (MCT) to update your Windows 10. It is a very easy process, simply follow these easy steps.
1. Visit the Microsoft Software download page.
2. Scroll down and click on the “Download tool now” to download the installation media on your computer.
3. Choose a suitable location to download the package.
4. Click on “Save” to save the package.
3. Go to the location where you have downloaded the file on your computer.
4. Double click on “MediaCreationTool2004“.
5. Now, click on “Accept” to accept the terms and conditions.
6. Now, choose “Upgrade this PC now“.
7. Then, click on “Next” to start the up-gradation process.
MCT will detect the update package for your computer. Let it download and install the package on your computer.
Reboot your computer to complete the installation process.
After rebooting, you will have your computer updated.
Fix-3 Update from Microsoft website-
If you are facing this issue with Windows feature updates (like Windows 10 May 2020 Update) then, follow these easy steps-
1. Visit this link. Click on “Update Now“.
2. Go to the location where you have downloaded the file on your computer.
3. Double click on “Windows10Upgrade9252“.
The application will run on your computer and download and install the latest feature update package suitable for your computer.
Depending upon the update package, it may take 30 minutes -1 hour to complete the process.
Please be patient.
4. You will be asked to reboot your computer to continue the installation process.
After rebooting your computer, you will see your computer is updated to the latest version.
You should be going through the up-gradation process without facing any error.
Fix-4 Use Windows Update Troubleshooter-
Windows Troubleshooter can fix any issues involving the Windows Update process.
1. Click on the Windows icon and then click on the gear-shaped icon to open Settings.
2. Now, click on “Update & Security“.
3. On the left-hand side, click on “Troubleshoot“.
4. Now, on the right-hand side, click on “Additional troubleshooters“.
5. Now, on the right pane of the Settings window, scroll down and click on “Windows Update“.
6. Now, click on “Run the Troubleshooter” to start the troubleshooting process.
7. Now, click on “Next” in the troubleshooter window.
This process will take some time as Windows will detect any problem with Windows Update.
8. Again click on “Next” to apply the fix.
Once the troubleshooting process is over, close the troubleshooter window.
Reboot your computer.
Sambit is a Mechanical Engineer By qualification who loves to write about Windows 10 and solutions to weirdest possible problems.